Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thank you KEXP

On Monday, I received a receipt documenting another installment of my annual donation to KEXP Seattle, praised in this space and elsewhere as the greatest radio station in the world.

Then, I came into work to a new computer, that magically can stream their audio live, in perfect quality, with no buffering stupidity (which was a problem on my previous machine).

Suffice to say, I've been listening all week thus far, and have learned a few things:

1) We were promised jetpacks = greatest band name ever. Though really it would work better as an album title. Still, awesome name. Their song Quiet Little Voices is anything but quiet, and is good.

2) Working for a Nuclear Free City = unfortunately named band out of manchester. They sound like the result of a focus group conducted in my high school memories, updated to modern day pop-crunch (aka, lots of Stone Roses, Jesus and Mary Chain influence). Their song Nancy Adam Susan (what's with the terrible names, people?) is the shit. I can't believe I didn't pick up on this when it came out last year.

3) Yep, KEXP is awesome, and if you live in Seattle or New York, you should feel very very lucky they're on your airwaves. If you don't, but have a cubicle, get yourself some decent headphones!

No comments: