Thursday, April 3, 2008

Food Review - Devil's Den

So i checked out devil's den last night. 11th and ellsworth.

In a word, it's great.

The beer list is among the best in the city, rivaled only by the POPE in terms of great IPAs (Bells Two Hearted, Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye, and a magnificent and evil triple IPA from Founders that weighed in at 13% ABV), and it goes a long way towards replacing Ludwigs (though that's really not possible) in terms of German beers. $6 for 23oz of Spaten? I can get behind that. Also, props for setting aside petty political bullshit and carrying both Yard's Philly Pale AND Philly Brewing Rowhouse Red. They follow the Ludwig's example in terms of glassware, fitting each beer to its proper vessel, which allows for the always fun game of "Who Gets The Coolest Glass". It will also, no doubt, lead to tons of theft. Tons of other stuff, but I didn't have it last night.

Food looks good - While I was disappointed that "The Axe" wasn't on the menu, the fries are delicious, and the bite of a portobello burger was the best such item I've ever tasted, by far. Heaps of caramelized onions, roasted tomatoes and smoked mozzarella - so much of the latter that it gooped out the side all over the fries- a VERY good thing.

As for sports watching capabilities, two bigass and gorgeous plasma screens sit above the bar, and last night one showed the flyers and one the phillies. The loud cheers when the Flyers took a 2-1 lead took me by surprise- the crowd was decidedly un-blue collar- mostly late 20's/early 30's white yuppies - in other words, me.

Some drawbacks - the wine list looks pretty weak, but who gives a shit, drink a beer, you fairy! Also, no Yuengling available, about which I could care less, but it still seems like a mistake. The 2nd floor is still not open yet, the service was predictably uneven (though friendly) given it was opening night, and there's no jukebox, which to me is a pretty grievous sin. The music was mostly bland 90's "alternative". If I wanted to listen to MMR I'd go back to drinking and driving, thank you.

Anyway, I give this place 3 Pinot Noir-laced mugs of Wit out of 4. Once they iron out the kinks, add a juke, and a pool table/darts upstairs, this could easily become my favorite bar in the city. Between the South Philly Tap Room, POPE, Caballitos, Ray's, the Dive, 12 Steps Down, Royal, and now Devil's Den, there's really no reason for me to ever leave my neighborhood (except, you know, for work).

Get on out and raise a glass to Confederate Snipers at this latest great Philly pub.

No comments: