Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Quotation of the year

Last month, 300 students enrolled in the remarkable distance running mentorship program, Students Run Philly Style, and their families gathered for a night to honor all they have accomplished in the past year, including the completion of the Philadelphia Marathon. That evening, Charles Dickens Sr., the father of the runner featured in this Inquirer article, had this to say about his son’s involvement in Students Run Philly Style:

“I need to let you know, and I need to let this entire city know, that because of this program, I can sleep at night. I know that my son is safe…safe from the bullets, safe from the danger on the street, because he is with caring mentors, who have dedicated their lives to his well being.”

That pretty well sums up why I do what I do. I hope you'll take a moment to witness these incredible kids and their mentors, supporting them by cheering on race day, and by considering a contribution. It makes all the difference.

No comments: