Friday, December 19, 2008

Best Albums of 2008 - an idiot's list

Here you go, my favorite albums of 2008.

1. TV on the Radio - Dear Science
2. Sigur Ros - Meo Suo I Eyrum Vio Spilum Endalaust
3. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
4. Metaform – Standing on the shoulders of giants
5. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
6. David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
7. Dr. Dog – Fate
8. Lil’ Wayne – Tha Carter III
9. Wolf Parade – At Mount Zoomer
10. Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple

Notable by its absence - Bloc Party – Intimacy. I found this to be a misnomer.

Honorable Mention (cause I’ve only heard 1-2 songs on it so far, so can’t totally judge):
Drive by Truckers: the song Opening Act might be my favorite of the year. I guess I’m a lil bit country. The crescendo of that song begins, “As I’m driving North and the sun is rising over a Technicolor horizon”, which is the most perfect lyric I’ve heard in a long, long time.
Deerhunter: the song Nothing Ever Happened is my current favorite song.
MGMT: Kids is an awesome song. There’s at least 2 other tracks on here I like, so maybe I should get around to listening to the whole thing.

The God You Suck Award: Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend. Hatehatehate. Runner-up: Portishead. I heard “Machine Gun” about 500 times this year, and hate that song so much it kept me from listening to anything else on what I gather is actually a good album.

8 comments:

Jeff said...

I'll second that "Machine Gun" eats the entire bag of dicks. Terrible song.

It's not representative of Third though, not in the least. I don't understand why people have singled out the one gawd-awful song on the album. "Silence" fucking rocks.

And according to Wikipedia that DBT is indeed 2008, so I think you can edit that idiot shit right back out. I saw it on the Onion's year-end list as well, so that's double confirmation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighter_Than_Creation%27s_Dark

Alex said...

Machine Gun also represents my lone criticism of KEXP this year - I have heard that track at least 2-3x per week, for MONTHS now. Which would ba bad enough on its own, but worse still is I'm pretty sure I have yet to hear them play a single other track from the album. It's the kind of shit I expect from XPN here in Philly, but NOT from the greatest radio station on earth.

Alex said...

To clarify - I'm sure they have played lots of other tracks, I just haven't noticed. That alone, to me, means that they haven't played the rest of the album enough. JITM loves the album, I listen to JITM every single day, ergo for me to only have recollection on this musical abortion = shame on KEXP.

Jeff said...

What's weirdest to me is that it's not even the most Portishead-y song in there. If it sucked, but it was familiar, it'd be different. But it's not, it's just annoying. It's a filler track. There's no valid rationale to make a big deal out of it. And yet there it is.

Also, I'm really unimpressed by MGMT except for that one song. In theory its appeal should be very, very obvious. But I don't get it.

Alex said...

Regrets from my list –
I already think I regret having Lil Wayne on there. I LOVE about ½ of the album, and seriously hate the rest. And “A Milli” is about 1000x more overrated than any other song this year. Cripes that is a giant bowl of suck.

Not having Raphael Saadiq on there. I only missed out cause I didn’t hear it in full until Xmas day – I bought it for the Mrs., and restrained myself for a month from opening the thing. But hoo boy is it great. It belongs on my list.

Alex said...

Ok - a little hyperbole there - A Milli is more overrated than any non-Machine Gun song.

Alex said...

MGMT is similar to Tha Carter III, in that about 3-4 songs I LOVE, and the rest are throw away at best, actively annoying at worst.

Jeff said...

Raphael Saadiq went over very well with my mom. And me too.